Gerald Marie survivors have reacted with relief and delight to news that a criminal investigation opened last year into sex abuse allegations against Marie has moved to the next stage. Eleven women who have filed their testimonies with the Paris prosecutor were contacted yesterday by the Paris police child protection department, Brigade de Protection des Mineurs. (Two of the accusers were minors at the time of the offences). A twelfth woman is expected to be contacted this week. The police detective in charge of the investigation has requested formal interviews with all the women to ensure the case goes ahead. The hearings are expected to take place in Paris once Covid restrictions are lifted. Most of the women have already confirmed they will attend while all have expressed their desire to see justice finally served.
Lisa Brinkworth, a former BBC reporter who was assaulted by Marie in 1998 hailed today’s decision as a significant moment for all sex abuse victims. She said, “This is especially important for victims who fall outside the twenty-year limit for prosecuting sex crimes in France and who were afraid their voices would never be heard. Those women, many teenagers at the time, suffered the most harrowing ordeals, which have left permanent scars. Their pain and trauma remain with them no matter how much time has passed. We are very grateful that the Paris police investigator has taken decisive action, with the investigation gaining pace.”
French lawyer, Anne-Claire Le Jeune, is representing all twelve victims who have so far submitted their testimonies with the Paris prosecutor. She said in a statement, ‘This is an important first step and demonstrates that the French authorities are taking the allegations seriously. I am pleased that the voices of victims have been taken into account as the case progresses.”
Le Jeune has appealed for more victims to come forward including those for whom the statute of limitations has not yet passed and who could pursue a criminal action.
VA is supporting all the accusers in the case and invites victims who have not yet come forward to contact us in confidence for advice and guidance.
VA is raising funds to cover victims’ travel costs. All donations would be welcome.DONATE TODAY!
My fight for fashion’s #MeToo moment: Lisa Brinkworth was sexually assaulted by a top model agency boss. Now 13 other women have come forward with stories of rape and assault by the same man – Daily Mail
April 13, 2022
February 14, 2021
November 20, 2020
THE NEW YORK TIMES
September 28, 2020
NEW YORK POST
September 27, 2020
September 27, 2020